With all this talk of money, we’ve decided to introduce our own currency – after all, Ireland’s had 4 currencies in the last 40 years, so why not one more?
Kilkenny’s Very Own Currency
Introducing…The Marble! It will have this magical quality to get more value, access special offers, and buy more stuff in Kilkenny throughout the festival weekend in pubs, restaurants, retail outlets, and more! For one weekend only The Marble will be strongest currency in Europe.
You can trade your shoddy Euros for the new gleaming Marble now! Marbles are now available for purchase from the Festival Box Office. Although the Marble trades at 1:1 with the Euro, when you purchase them, you’ll get 10% extra free. So if you spend €10 you’ll receive 11 Marbles to spend in any participating outlet; if you spend €100, you’ll get 110 Marbles; if you spend…well, you get the drift.
And that’s not all, many participating outlets are running special Marble hours and promotions so you’ll get even more value for your shiny new Marbles! Got some left over after the weekend? Fear not, just drop ‘em back to us in the Festival Box Office on Monday & Tuesday, November 5th – 6th, and you can redeem them subject to a 10% charge. This is to incentivise Marble-holders to enjoy their 10% bonus by spending the currency in the local economy over the weekend rather than stockpiling it in an attempt at a George Soros-inspired currency coup! Note this currency, like Anglo-Irish bank, is regulated by the Financial Regulator and the Central Bank of Ireland*.
*Like the haircuts in NAMA, this is subject to revision.
Where can I get my mitts on some Marbles?
Marbles are available for purchase or exchange from the Festival Box Office, at 16 John Street. Opening hours as follows:
• Monday to Friday, October 22nd-26th: 10am to 6pm.
• Saturday & Sunday, October 27th-28th: 12 noon to 5pm.
• Monday to Wednesday, October 29th-October 31st: 10am to 6pm.
• Thursday, November 1st: 10am to 7pm.
• Friday & Saturday November 2nd-3rd: 10am to 9pm.
• Sunday, November 4th: 10am to 6pm.
Which Outlets are accepting the Marble?
2012 Marbles Outlets:
- Langton’s including the Set Theatre, the John Street Tea Rooms, and Bridie’s, all John Street, Kilkenny.
- The Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, Ormonde Street.
- The Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel, Ormonde Street.
- The Pembroke Hotel Kilkenny, Patrick Street.
- Zuni Restaurant & Townhouse, Patrick Street.
- The Kilkenny River Court Hotel, John Street.
- Rothe House Museum and Gardens, Parliament Street.
- Bollard’s Bar, Kieran’s Street.
- The Grapevine, Rose Inn Street.
- Chez Pierre, Parliament Street.
- Cleere’s, Irishtown.
- Foodworks Café, High Street.
- Cafe Sol, William Street.
- An Poc Fada, Rose Inn Street.
- The Marble City Bar, High Street.
- The Nostalgia Cafe, High Street.
- The Fig Tree Cafe, High Street.
- Crotty’s Coffee House, Kieran Street.
What is the value of the Marble? The Marble trades publicly at 1:1 with the Euro, therefore you can receive change in either Marbles or Euros.
Where do I get the Marble? You can buy Marbles at the Kilkenomics Festival Box Office, location to be confirmed in Kilkenny shortly.
When can I get the Marble? Marbles will be available to purchase from Monday, October 22nd at 10.00am
How do I redeem my Marbles for Euros after the festival? Simply bring your remaining Marbles back to the Festival Box Office on Monday or Tuesday, November 5th-6th, and you can exchange them subject to a 10% charge. This is to incentivise Marble-holders to enjoy their 10% bonus by spending the currency in the local economy over the weekend rather than stockpiling it in an attempt at a George Soros-inspired currency coup!
What denominations are available? The Marble is available in 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20 Marble notes, as well as a half Marble note.
I’d like to get my business involved – what do I need to do? Find out more about accepting the Marble at your business here. Remember since the Marble trades 1:1 with the Euro, you can get involved by simply accepting the Marble and then redeeming them for Euros after the festival at our Box Office on Monday or Tuesday, November 5th -6th.
How can I get more information? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries. Alternatively contact the Box Office on 056 776 3837 from 10.00am Monday, October 22nd.
Buy a Souvenir Set of Marbles!
Designed by Bite! Design in Cork with illustrations by Mice Hell, the marble is a unique collectors item and souvenir not only for people who attended Kilkenomics but also for fans of currency collecting and of Kilkenny itself. The reverse of each note features a beautiful sketch of Kilkenny Castle. Each of the six denominations features a local hero as a main design feature as follows:
- Half Marble note – featuring St Canice
- One Marble note – featuring local publican Eamon Langton
- Two Marble note – featuring White House architect James Hoban
- Five Marble note – featuring local rugby legend Willie Duggan
- Ten Marble note – featuring renowned writer Jonathan Swift
- Twenty Marble note – featuring GAA hurling star Henry Shefflin